Social Forum 12 Step Forum Working Step 12 Working the Higher Power in the Program
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Working the Higher Power in the Program

Working the Higher Power in the Program 2 years 3 months ago #38

• zym
I find that one of the biggest challenges in working the 12th step, is the day to day stuff that comes up in our life's.

If we have been in the program for a long time, we develope a comfort zone and we can easily fall back on letting God handle every thing and start doing things our self, relying on our selfs and forgetting to have faith that what is in front of us is nothing more that an opportunity to shear with God our life's journey.

After 20 + years I saw that happen to me and I had to take a seat and look hard at my self once again and admit I slowly took over my life and did every thing my way....lol...which we all know is most-likely not God way.. :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Working the Higher Power in the Program 2 years 3 months ago #39

• cara
Someone recently said to me (referring to my recovery group) that these 'secular organisations' were ok but did not address the spiritual component of addiction. I was laughing about this for some time because recovery has been the most complete spiritual experience I have ever had. And I have been a practicing christian for 35 years.

My difficulty is that although I knew from the start that God accepted me as I am, I soon discovered that the people in the churches could not. So I have spent a lot of time pretending to be something I am not so I could stay in those churches. I did try living as a christian outside of that and no way did that work.

I am grateful for those churches in that they provided me with safe places to be in and a framework for my life which held my addiction back and contained it but on the other hand there was no recovery in that.

It is in recovery that I have seen the attitudes of people match the attitude of God towards me in complete acceptance. Even so when I reached Step 2 I had some serious issues to work through as I rethought what I believed about God and I included in my Higher Power the human Body of Christ - the church (and it is a very broad church).

The same person also told me that she considered the concept of a Higher Power is dangerous because people might encounter the wrong god. In my experience I have found that those who search for God will find Him, after all He's that big and He's searching for you too so how can you miss Him.

Apologies to all those who have a Higher Power who is not God, but even then I get the feeling that your Higher Power and mine have an awful lot in common. Cara

Working the Higher Power in the Program 2 years 3 months ago #40

• deniss
Religious organizations can be good things, and most of them mean well. But (always a but for some reason) for me, comparing a religion with the spiritual aspects of recovery is comparing a ferrari and a volkswagon bug. God is within me every day if I so choose to allow him to work in my life. I don't need someone to tell me how to act, the difference betwwen good and bad, what clothes I have to wear when I show up or why i'm going to h*ll if I don't do it their way.

The idea of encountering the wrong "God" is interesting. If you are seeking "God" (or HP as it may be) it is much akin to picking up the phone and dialing a friends number. Unless you are numerically challenged, you are going to get your friend.

I was seeking One with the ability to help me in my quest for sanity and peace. I wasn't 100 percent sure what I needed from Him. In fact, I didn't understand Him at all. But I didn't need to (and don't now). I dialed, He answered.

Dennis

Working the Higher Power in the Program 2 years 3 months ago #41

• zym
The 12th Step is not about Religion, and it never was, it is about the one simple fact that there is something out there that if we direct our lives towards It', Him, She, what ever,.. We will experience a change in our thinking, feeling, and perceiving, of not just us, but our surroundings and every thing.

The whole world takes on a new look through new eye of Understanding, we are going through a transformation in mind, Body and Spirit. the struggles may still exist in life, but they don't seem as tough any more. We KNOW there IS a Higher Power at work in our lives. it is a Fact not a hope. for those of us that make it to the 12th step... having worked the Program Thoroughly and Honestly. there is no question.

Acceptance has been one of the trade marks of our communitee and a reason that many find God here, because they are no longer waering the clock of guilt that many churches put on a person.

We find a new way of life and happiness, Guilt and Shame are destructive and have no place in recovery.

If you are still working through step 2,3,4, Take a long look at the persons that reach out to you in this program and ask for nothing in return, these are Addicts of all kinds that walked in here with high levels of survival skills, not trusting and no skill at truly being there for some one else.

But some how and in a way that make no-sense to us in the beginning, they show us love, Unconditional love. It is proof that a Higher Power is working through other to reach us and show us just how big It' really is.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.280 seconds